English Grammar Entry No. 2

2:31 PM

Expressing Emotions: The Good, the Bad, and the In-between

Happy, sad, angry, neutral, and commanding. Just like people, English can be dramatic. Expressing emotion through punctuation, tone, sentence structure, and word choice are all the icky things that go along with the creative part of writing. Expressing yourself, however, is a basic part of human nature which we are all a part of on and off of paper.

Exclamatory Sentence: Exclamatory sentences use exclamation points! This means that the narrator is expressing excitement or anger.

|EXAMPLE 1| 
Joey: Well, you said I had to give you the chair. You didn't say anything about the cushions.
Chandler: The cushions are the essence of the chair!
Joey: That's right! I'm taking the essence.
- Friends

|EXAMPLE 2| 
Kramer: This pirate trend that she's come up with, Jerry, this is gonna be the new look for the '90s. You're gonna be the first pirate!
Jerry: But I don't want to be a pirate!
- Seinfeld

Interrogative Eentence: The dark room with terrible lighting you see in every detective show in television is the perfect example. What do you do in an interrogation room? You interrogate people by asking questions.

|EXAMPLE|
Shawn Spencer: Good morning, detectives! Collecting donations for the Policeman's Ball?
Carlton Lassiter: We don't have balls.
Shawn Spencer: I honestly have no response for that.
Carlton Lassiter: Need I remind you, Mr. Spencer, what happens when you interfere with a police investigation?
Shawn Spencer: Uhhh... The case gets solved?
- Psych

Imperative Sentence: Command and demand. These sentences will usually have an authoritative tone which the narrator uses to demand for the reader, or characters to do something. You will find that most of these will usually end with periods, although it is not uncommon to find one ending with an exclamation point.

|EXAMPLE| 
Sherlock: Anderson, don't talk out loud. You lower the IQ of the whole street.
- Sherlock

Declarative Sentence: These sentences are expressed as a statement. The narrator uses this when they are stating something or declaring something. Most of these sentences you will find end with a period.

|EXAMPLE| 
Sheldon: I made tea.
Leonard: I don't want tea.
Sheldon: I didn't make tea for you. This is my tea.
Leonard: Then why are you telling me?
Sheldon: It's a conversation starter.
Leonard: That's a lousy conversation starter.
Sheldon: Oh, is it? We're conversing. Checkmate.
- The Big Bang Theory

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts